Mini Yunnan Tuocha Tea Mix
Availability: In stock
A 70 gram bag of this wonderful mix contains about 12 to 13 pieces of ripe tuo cha. In total there are 4 different types, each with there unique flavor.
Mini Pu erh tuocha
Pu erh tea is an important part of the Yunnan culture. For a beginning pu erh tea explorer there is definitely a long way to go in order to fully appreciate the complexity of this type of tea. Sip and feel its richness in taste that evolves after each steep and imagine the history that is within this tea. Order today and have some of those high quality leaves that made it to our Teasenz website right in your teapot. Each and every piece is source directly from Yunnan and you will love it. Read our guide below as a roadmap for your puerh journey!
- Brown: Start off with the flat tuocha wrapped in brown paper to experience the classic taste of pu erh tea. Note: Don't underestimate those small tuocha teas. One piece can easily steep you several pots of tea. Instead of moving too fast from one color to the other, first strive to get as many steeps from each piece! Try to notice differences in flavor between the different steeps.
- Red: Once you have fully processed the taste of the classic flavor, move on to the red wrapper. Unwrap, and you will see a cute, cube shaped pu erh tea. What's so unique about this one is that it has notes of oranges!
- Blue: Next, is the blue paper wrapped toucha. If this is the first time for you trying out pu erh, then the taste of this one can come at a surprise. In China we call this aroma '糯米香': the fragrance of sticky rice, which is an unique feature that you will only find in pu erh teas.
- Yellow: Last but not least, we finish our collection with yellow color wrapped tuocha. Similar to the blue wrapper, this mini tuocha also has the fragrance of sticky rice. The difference with the first three small tuochas is that this one is a 'sheng' type. Sheng pu erhs are characterized by a lighter and more refreshing flavor. Steep it slightly longer than the first three to let the flavor release a bit more. After this one, you'll find out whether you prefer a 'shou' (red, brown, blue) or 'sheng' (yellow) tuocha.
What is Tuocha?
Tuocha is a tea that is compressed in a 'dome-shaped bowl' and most often made of pu erh tea leaves. If you observe our product images you can see that it resembles a bird’s nest. This kind of shape helps to the tea dry out better after processing. Tuocha can range from a few grams to up to many kilograms. However, the term is also often used for small pu erh tea compressed in any kind of shape.The Chinese believe that the name tuocha originates from an old tea shipping and trading route of the Tuojiang River.
|Steeping time||3-4 min|
|Steeping temperature||100 °C - 212 °F|
|Leaves per 500ml / 17oz teapot||1 pc|
|Tablespoons / 500ml (17 oz)||n/a|
|Tea Caffeine Content||high|
|Tea Region||Various Villages|
|Tea in Chinese||迷你云南沱茶|
- Happy to taste
Quality Price Service
- Love the two browns
Service Quality Price
- Hard to beat
Price Service Quality
- A surprisingly high quality, lovely set of tuochas!
Price Service Quality
+ RED wrapper: This is such a tightly compacted tuocha! I went for a longer rinse than usual because even after the rinse, it still wasn't unraveled very much. The tuocha reminds me of a chocolate truffle, but it has a fragrance of hay. This is certainly a ripe pu-erh but rather than be one of those dark muddy coffee brews, the color of the cup is copper. The flavor is lighter than I'm used to as well, actually sweet and fruity without many hints that this is pu-erh in flavor. The second steep is much darker and deeper like I usually expect. Pu-erh can only be PU-ERH but it seems to have so many flavors wisping throughout: earth, pine, maple syrup. The third steep is still going strong. I'm shocked that such a tiny truffle of a tuocha can have so many long pu-erh leaves.
25 sec rinse // just boiled // 3 min steep // 3 min // 4 min
+ BROWN wrapper (disc shaped): Even though the steeped leaves looked the same size as the leaves in the last tuocha, the cup got dark very fast, so I shortened the first steep to two minutes. Maybe this tuocha had more leaves or was less compact. The flavor is delicious - very deep unsweetened dark chocolate. The last tuocha had many flavors, but this just has the one. None of the "typical" pu-erh flavors are found in this cup.. it kind of tastes more like coffee. This would be a good pu-erh for newbies. My first cup was sipped too quick! The third steep was a bit weaker than the other two, but the other two cups were delicious.
Just boiled // rinse // 2 min // 3 min // 4-5 min
+BLUE wrapper: This one seems to be rice scented! Love those! It was tough for me to tell at first that it was rice scented. I'd say it's more in the dry leaf aroma and the mug scenting up the room rather than in the flavor. There were also quite a bit of things floating in the infuser. I'm not sure if they are what imparts the rice flavor (tiny little sticks and one leaf I've never seen in any tea) or there by accident. The actual pu-erh leaves are surprisingly big for such a small tuocha, steeped almost the length of the tuocha itself (bigger leaves mean higher quality!) The flavor is deep, dark, sweet. Very tasty. The second steep is even deeper and even better. No complaints here, but I'd like to know if the pieces are supposed to be in the tuocha or not. I've just started noticing these pu-erhs really help my appetite, which probably isn't a good thing for me!
Just boiled // rinse // 2 min // 3 min // 4 min
+BROWN wrapper (rounder shaped) - Another surprisingly big-leafed tea for a mini tuocha. It seems like I've had this type of tuocha before - a solid tuocha with none of the qualities of pu-erh that might scare anyone away. Smooth and sweet flavor, the kind of mellow dark flavor that could only be pu-erh! The first two cups were very dark but the one I left accidentally steeping for ten minutes wasn't that strong. But that's another lovely thing about pu-erh - they never get bitter!
Just boiled // rinse // 2 min // 3 min // 10 min (accidentally)
+OVERALL: This is a delicious pu-erh collection! I enjoyed all four tuochas. All of them seem slightly different, with very big leaves for a tuocha. I could definitely buy this when I'm looking for tuochas to stock up on. Everything I've tried from Teasenz has been delicious! (Posted on 10/31/2014)
- Yunnan Tuocha Tea Mix
Price Service Quality
- Smooth flavour, not garishly strong
Price Service Quality