Tea Eggs Recipe
Tea eggs are one of the favourite tea recipes of Chinese people. Not only do they make an amazing presentation, but they taste good too. It's very easy to make it, but it does require a lot of waiting while the eggs absorbs the flavor while being stewed. Below you find a tea egg recipe from a skilled Chinese cook. Good luck!
Tea Egg Ingredients
- 6-8 eggs
- 4 table spoons of loose black tea leaves
- 2 table spoons soy sauce
- 2 table spoons salt
- 1 tea spoon Chinese five spice powder (adjust according to taste)
Directions for Cooking Chinese Tea Eggs
- Boil eggs for 12 minutes until they are thoroughly cooked. Afterwards set eggs aside in cold water to let them cool down.
- Once eggs are cooled, crack the shells of the eggs, but make sure not to let the shell come off the eggs. Make sure to make cracks all around for a prettier cracked egg shell look as a result. This is tricky, what you want are cracks that are deep enough for the taste to get into the eggs, but not to much to the eggs shells won't fall of the egg itself during cooking.
- Lay the eggs in a cooking pot and fill water to about one inch or 2.5 cm above eggs. Add more water later on if needed.
- Bring to boil the water with black tea leaves, salt, soy sauce and Chinese spices. The latter you can usually find in any grocery store. If not, check out your local Asian supermarket. If you can't find this at your local Asian grocery store.
- Cook the tea eggs for two hours (this is really the minimum) with all the ingredients on a low simmer. Keep lid on, this will avoid the liquid mixture from evaporating.
- Afterwards let the pot cool down and let the boiled tea eggs sit overnight for about 8 hours) in the fridge to fully absorb the flavors.
- The next day, you have to boil, and cook at a low boil for an additional 1-2 hours.
Because it takes a long time to cook those tea leaf eggs you might want to make more at once. Tea boiled eggs can be served deliciously hot or cold. You can store tea leaf eggs in the fridge for a few days. Keep them in the liquor with shells on.
How to Serve Tea Eggs?
Tea eggs can be served beautifully seaweed and black and or white sesame seeds. The taste as well the colors match perfectly.
And if you are looking for an suitable beverage to pair with this authentic dish, there is nothing better than your favorite cup of tea. Need an alcoholic drink? In that case, a glass of white wine would be the perfect match.
P.S. If you have tried this recipe then send us some pictures and let us know whether you like this recipe at [email protected] Also let us know if it's ok for us to publish your feedback, thanks!