The History of Tea Gifts in China & What You Should Get This Holiday Season
Tea is by far the most popular gift in China for many reasons. In this article, we're going to discuss the 3 most important causes below:
For a beverage with a long history, people love to romanticise the cultural value behind tea. The amazing quality of tea growing and processing today is because of the knowledge we’ve accumulated over thousands of years from our ancestors.
Because it's so embedded in the culture, many Chinese are highly knowledgeable about tea. People appreciate it like wine, and want to know about their origin and processing methods. When preparing and drinking teas, they're appreciated for their appearance, flavour, aroma and aftertaste. Tea is also an indispensable part of Chinese tea weddings ceremonies.
Tea is an indispensable part of a Chinese weddings.
The surge in popularity of tea in China enjoyed momentum when emperors, officials as well as famous poets started to collect, drink and share tea within their network. Due to this, it became a status product. Demand for high quality tea increased, allowing the market of artisan teas in China to flourish.
Some farmers sticked to producing common teas to sell to restaurants and individuals seeking a cheap and healthy daily drink. Others started to shift their focus from quantity to quality and also paid attention to fancy packaging. This group of farmers aimed for the premium market of tea gifts. Tea was also seen as a safe gift that anyone will like. Even if the receiver don't like tea that much, it's still something that has to be served when receiving guests at home.
Receiving guests with tea
Though status and saving face is important in China, tea in the very beginning, was a simple but effective health drink. There’s lots of scientific evidence today that can back up this claim. So when you’re giving tea, you’re wishing someone good health!
Tea Gift Recommendations
Do you want to buy tea for someone special? Then read our recommendations below:
- Get tea in tins. One each tea page on the Teasenz website, you can select the option to have your tea packed in premium gift tins. They're made from durable metal and will help to keep the tea fresh.
- Get tea cakes in pouches. If you're planning to buy pu erh or white tea cakes. Then checkout our pouches. They're made from a combination of linen and cotton for optimised durability and breathability. Wanna go extra premium, then separately order this 2-in-1 tea tray and storage box combi-product.
- If you're not sure about tea, you can also look into our large teaware category. It includes teapots, mugs and accessories that add pep to the perfect cup.
- Video: make sure to visit the product pages and watch the videos of our tea and teaware. It's a great way to evaluate the products before you buy. Want to stay up to date with all our new videos? Make sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Discounts: visit and bookmark this page to see all our temporarily discounted products. Don't see anything you wanna buy? Don't worry, subscribe to our newsletter to receive new deals every month.
- Free products: besides discounts, Teasenz also offer free products with your order! Checkout this page to see what the current free products are.